Monday, March 8, 2010

International Women's Day

I'm not sure if you are aware that today is International Women's Day. I Googled the celebration to find out some more about this day so I could share it. Normally I would paste in the link, however it wouldn't work with this site. It's called "Only Kent-Breaking World News" and it claims that International Women's Day celebrates and recognises women's achievements in social, political and economic fields. It began in 1909 in the United States. The event faded in popularity between the 1930's and the 1960's due to the feminism movement and it's popularity.
This year, International Women's Day focuses on the women trying to escape armed conflict who are facing intimidation and violence.
Today I have taken a few moments to think of the women in my life who have or still do make a difference. The reason why I posted to this blog is because Mel, the other 'project manager' on this blog, has made a huge difference in my life. She motivates me, she inspires me, we laugh together, we share our tears with each other and we grow together. She is such an amazing person and I wanted to especially say thank you to her today even though she makes a difference in my life every day. Thanks Mel.

No comments: