Monday, June 21, 2010

Today's Adventure

Jill says:
Today we(Mel & I) took a 'creative trip' to Brisbane. We were home very close to midday so we took the rare opportunity to sit and enjoy lunch and some stimulating conversation.

We were talking about some things that have come about from us part-taking in our very own Lifescrap 365. For me, I have a simple style of scrapbooking. At times I like to do fancy stuff however mostly my scrapbooking style is simple, no fuss. I scrapbook to display my photos and to tell a story, with a little creativity. Don't get me wrong, I love the creative process of scrapbooking. I guess I just don't spend hours over designing and creating my pages. I mostly choose scrapbooking products by whether I like the look of them or not and to use Mel's old saying "Can I use it 5 times?". As for names of products etc, I leave that up to Mel. Usually I can explain how something looks and Mel can put a name to it.

Mel is very in touch with all the latest cool and funky scrapbooking supplies. She usually knows about them before anyone else I know. She stays connected to the main trend leaders in scrapbooking and she has a real passion for everything scrapbooking. It's usually Mel who introduces me to products and at times I may have already seen them in magazines etc and Mel puts a name to them for me and shares with me her own spin on the product.

It is fantastic to be able to see things through other's eyes. I find it very inspirational to hear Mel's ideas and uses for products. She thinks outside the box. This kind of thinking inspires me to think outside the box also. Usually after a conversation with Mel, I have come away with a new use for something in my stash.

The example from today is using different sized album refills. I have over my time bought different sized albums for one project or another and inevitably there are always album refills left over. I have always thought that I can't use the leftover refills so they have sat in my cupboard collecting dust. After discussing Mel's Lifescrap album today and another project she is working on, I realised there are no rules about using only 12" x 12" album refills in a 12" x 12" album. I realised that I can also use other size album refills as well; 8.5" x 11", ATC's, anything really. And as Mel says, if it doesn't have the right holes, I can use an anywhere punch or crop-a-dile to put holes where I need them. I was thinking you could either keep all the different sized pages/refills together or you can mix them up and place them throughout the album (this would probably take a little more planning than I am used-but it's still an option). I do get a bit bored with always scrapping 12" x 12", hence my passion for scrapping "projects" like different sized albums for gifts and 'off the page' scrapping, just to spice it up a bit. My revelation for today is I can still mix it up and at the same time continue scrapping my photos in my own simple style.

No comments: